Jerry Lewis, who became a household name as one-half of legendary duo Martin
Forty years ago today Elvis Presley passed away. Yes, The King may be dead but in so many ways he still lives on.
His music is timeless. The songs Elvis sang changed the music industry forever. He could and did sing everything: country, rock, pop, gospel. If he were still alive today he’d probably be giving Jay-Z a run for his money. And he’d probably be wondering what possessed UB40 to do a cover version of “Can’t Help Falling In Love”.
His movies still entertain us. Sure most of them may be hokey, but along with the cheesiness of an Elvis movie, you get to hear some great tunes. I’ve heard more than one person say that if they had taken a lot of the music out of those films and gave them an actual storyline, Elvis would have had great acting potential. I note that Elvis’ last film was made in 1969. I wonder if he’d made some in the 70’s if he would’ve been wearing the sideburns and the sequined jumpsuit…
Graceland is still a tourist attraction. Elvis’ home is visited by more people every year than the White House. The huge estate is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark. It’s also the very home where Elvis died, where he and several family members are buried, and the same one that thousands flock to on the dates of his birth and his death.
His legend lives on. In his daughter, Lisa Marie, also a singer, and his grandchildren. In Vegas impersonators. In his fans and their love for him. In his memorabilia, which is endless and can be found around the world. Everything from autographs to Zippo lighters. If it exists, it probably has an image of Elvis on it.
As far as icons are concerned, the music industry will always have “the next big star” male performer: the Justins, the Brunos, the Ushers. But there will never be another Elvis. He may be physically gone but he lives on for an eternity in the hearts of many.
Like countless others I’m disgusted and saddened by the shit that some “entitled” white supremacists felt necessary to pull over the weekend. This shit included killing and injuring people.
Also like countless others I’m disgusted and saddened, but not surprised, by ASSHOLE not denouncing the acts of these white supremacists. I’m not surprised because I wasn’t expecting him to say a goddamn word about them being white supremacists. In fact, I would’ve been in SHOCK if he HAD referred to them as white supremacists.
It doesn’t surprise me that ASSHOLE didn’t say what most of us were hoping he’d say. It doesn’t surprise me that ASSHOLE didn’t say what he SHOULD’VE said. No, it doesn’t make it right and no, we don’t need to accept it. I certainly don’t. But since ASSHOLE is a hypocrite about everything he says, I guess when it comes to white supremacy he stands his ground. Because he himself is a white supremacist. It’s quite obvious. So why should we be surprised?
Would someone who is NOT a white supremacist surround them self with people who are? Because that’s what ASSHOLE has done with some of his staff choices.
Would someone who is a white supremacist call out other white supremacists for their acts of terrorism? Think about it. Why would they? As I said, ASSHOLE is a hypocrite but when it comes to white supremacy he stands his ground.
Unfortunately white supremacy will never go away. It’s been around for a very long time. And as long as there are college-aged white males out there who are taught to hate, allow themselves to hate or are brainwashed to hate, whatever the case may be, these assholes will always exist. We just don’t need an ASSHOLE “leader” fueling their fire., and that’s what is happening here.
The best way to tackle the spread of white supremacy? Start at the top:
Have you ever wondered what certain celebrities who passed pre-ASSHOLE would have thought about our country’s current political “situation”?
On the anniversary of his death I was wondering what Robin Williams would have thought of our ASSHOLE “president”. I’m sure whatever it would’ve been, it would’ve been hilarious. Such as:
That’s a good start…
and one of the reasons is all the bullshit that spews from ASSHOLE’S mouth
I’m not sure God gave ASSHOLE enough blood for either one!
That sums Washington, DC up PERFECTLY!
America’s ASSHOLE-in-chief and the GOP have come up with a survey for “real” Americans. Apparently they want to know what “real” Americans think of some of the bullshit that they’re pulling.
Since I consider myself a “real” American, I figured I’d take the survey and share the answers here. On many of the answers I did elaborate here, even if it didn’t allow me to elaborate on the actual survey itself.
Listening to America survey:
Which state do you live in?
- Massachusetts – Ranked #1 overall by U.S. News & World Report, as well as #2 in health care and #1 in education. Just my opinion but I feel Massachusetts is the best state in New England, if not the entire nation. Oh, and we have the Patriots too 🙂
- How would you rate the current direction of our economy? (Great, Good, Fair, Bad, Other, please specify)
Other: I chose “other” because as of this moment I feel our economy is in “neutral”, meaning that enough time has not passed to see where we will be once you are done destroying us. We are still reveling in eight years of prime leadership and are trying to hold on to it for as long as we can.
- Do you feel your elected representative fights for the issues you care about?
Yes I do. For the record:
- Reps for my state:
- Senators: Warren and Markey – both great
- House Reps: we have nine – the one for my district, Richard Neal, has represented us for years and has done a great job.
- Governor – Despite being a Republican, Charlie Baker’s got my vote should he run again.
- And Marty Walsh has made a great mayor of Boston
Reps for my country:
ASSHOLE 1 and ASSHOLE 2 – need I say more?
* Which issue do you want to see prioritized more
Gee, where do I start? I’m going to change “issue” to “issues” and go from there:
- Let’s start with the issue in the White House. You know, the 71-year-old narcissistic, childish issue who tweets all the time
- Next, the issue in Congress and the fact they don’t know which way is up
- The issue of health care. The fact that the 71-year-old child in the White House and the GOP even CONSIDERED repealing it should tell all of America just what these people think of us.
- The issues of racism, fascism, sexism, discrimination against people of other religions, other sexual orientation, other countries, even the elderly.
- The issues of the 71-year-old child in the White House bullying his counterparts and non-counterparts
- The issue of Russia and the fact that the 71-year-old child in the White House and his minions would even consider associating with them for whatever reason.
- Are your taxes too high?
- Is saving enough for your retirement a big concern for you?
Is being able to get a job a struggle for you or your community?
Not for me and as far as I know, not my community either.
- Do you feel your job is threatened by unfair trade deals?
- Do you think legal immigration should be reduced until unemployment drops?
No. (1) I don’t feel we currently have a very high unemployment rate and (2) immigrants help keep unemployment rates low because they will more willingly take jobs non-immigrants refuse to take.
- Have excessive government regulations, rules, and red tape burdened you personally?
No, but regulations that were put in place by EPA (ones that the 71-year-old child has since removed) were there to help the environment. But that’s what you get when you have a 71-year-old child in the White House who doesn’t give a fuck about anything or anyone but himself.
- Would you like to be able to use what you pay for childcare, eldercare, and other similar programs as a tax credit?
I already do.
- If applicable, are you satisfied with the education your child is receiving?
Yes, very satisfied. My state offers many options. Even an on-line public school option.
- Do you support Common Core?
Yes. What I don’t support is the new way a lot of teachers like to teach. Especially with math.
- Do you want to see more technical education programs as alternatives to costly four-year universities?
I know not everyone is cut out for four-year universities or even post-secondary schooling of any kind. I know of a lot of four-year universities that offer technical education programs as part of their studies. So what is the point you’re trying to make? Are you going to pay for the cost of a higher education?
- Do you think universities today indoctrinate rather than teach students?
No. I also feel that a student will only get out of higher education what they put into it.
- How would you rate the infrastructure in your neighborhood? (Great, Good, Fair, Bad, Other)
- Do you trust the media?
Yes, I do. But I don’t trust the 71-year-old child in the White House or his minions.
- Do you find the news to be generally too negative/hateful?
No. I actually find it very truthful. If the truth is negative/hateful, that isn’t the fault of the media. Most of the time they’re only reporting to us what the 71-year-old child in the White House has said. Which is usually something negative and/or hateful.
- Do you think our country is too divided?
I don’t feel it is as divided as it was in 1861 but I also think the country will always be divided somewhat, whether it be by politics, religion, bathroom use, etc. It’s just how people are. Not everyone is going to like everyone, nor do you have to. It’s when you take the divisiveness to another level and become violent towards one another that you have a problem.
- Do you agree with President Trump’s messaging?
Fuck no. Even if he had a message to provide, it would still be “fuck no”.
- Do you hold more socially conservative views?
No. I’m a very open-minded person and I believe everyone should be able to live their life how they WANT to, not by WHAT they are told is right or wrong.
- Do you feel that you cannot publicly admit that you support Trump?
Is this a fucking joke? I wouldn’t support that ASSHOLE publicly or privately, on the Earth, on the Moon, in another galaxy, in another country. Nada. Nil. NEVER!
- Do you think stopping taxpayer-funding of abortion remains a priority?
I may have missed the memo on this one. I personally have never had an abortion but I’ve known women who have (one was medically necessary) and they had to pay for it themselves. The medically necessary one was paid for through insurance.
- Do you believe that the Second Amendment is unfairly targeted as the reason for increased gun violence?
No. I feel the reason for increased gun violence is because guns are ending up in the wrong hands.
- Do you want to see more done to stop radical Islamic terrorists from coming to our shores?
Not if it consists of some ASSHOLE banning people of any one religion from entering the United States. What if the people behind 9/11 were all Catholics? Would that mean ASSHOLE would be banning all Catholics from the United States?
- Do you support President Trump’s temporary restriction on immigration from terrorism-compromised countries?
No, because between you, me and the lamppost, we all know his “plan” was never “temporary”. If anything it was discriminatory.
- Are you concerned by the potential spread of Sharia Law?
Not anymore than I’m concerned of the spread of Atheism.
- Is Russia a concern to you?
As Sting sang back in the 80’s “The Russians love their children too”. I know there are ordinary people living their ordinary lives in Russia. They probably dislike their ASSHOLE as much as we dislike our ASSHOLE. In that sense I have no concerns about Russia.
Russia only becomes a concern for me when some ASSHOLE in America decides to collude with Russia to help him win the presidency because he doesn’t have the confidence to win it on his own. Russia becomes a concern for me when some ASSHOLE and his minions sneak around and meet with Russian agents and Russian spies and Russian oligarchs and the Russian president and then lie about the meetings or deny the meetings.
- Has illegal immigration had a negative impact on your community?
No. Just like legal immigration it has helped, especially in the job market.
- Is the drug epidemic especially big in your community?
Not in my direct community that I know of. But 20 miles outside of my direct community, yes. Then again, right now in America, where is there NOT a drug epidemic? Hence the word “epidemic”. And the 71-year-old child in the White House doesn’t seem to want to do anything about it. Except call New Hampshire a “drug den”.
- English is currently not recognized as the official language of the United States. Do you think it should be?
No. Just as I don’t feel any one culture, religion, race or sexuality should be official. America is a melting pot. We are a little bit of everything.
- What else do you think the President needs to know about the real America? We’re listening.
Again, where do I start?
- I know the “president” is not listening because he doesn’t listen to anyone. He’ll tell you what you want to hear but he won’t listen to what you have to say. He’s proven that.
- You can’t make something great “again” that is “already” great. Maybe that’s part of ASSHOLE’S problem. Trying to make something great that is already great.
- Don’t tell us WHAT you’re going to do; tell us HOW you’re going to do it. Most of us are more interested in the journey and the end result than in a bunch of bullshit. Besides, telling HOW you plan on doing something makes you seem more credible. Shit, ANYONE can tell you WHAT they’re going to do. I could tell you I’m going to become a millionaire. Wouldn’t you want to know HOW I plan on doing that? If I told you I was going to buy a mansion and you knew I was piss poor, wouldn’t you wonder how the fuck I was going to afford it? Maybe have some rich Mexican buy it for me?
1. You will leave You are our primary source of fuel, our life giver and without this precious fuel we are thrown into chaos, impending oblivion on the horizon. You signed an unwritten contract to supply us with potent and delicious fuel until we decide to the contrary. It is our decision. It is not…
In taking a break from the usual political bullshit tonight (GRAND JURY, MAN! WHOO!), I was perusing some Masshole memes, had a few chuckles and decided to share a few. Just for shits and giggles 🙂
As of this moment the bozos in Washington are dicking around with an 8-page “bill” that took them seven years to create. They call this the “skinny repeal” plan because it repeals some of the ACA. The problem I have with it is what it repeals.
The “skinny repeal” plan would likely eliminate the individual mandate, which requires nearly all Americans to obtain health insurance or pay a penalty.
This is the part of the ACA that young people have been bitching about. They’ve been bitching about it because they’re young and healthy so their thinking is “why should I be required to pay for insurance if I don’t need it”. That’s like someone saying they’ve been driving for twenty years, have never gotten a speeding ticket and have never been in an accident. Why should I have auto insurance? I’m a great driver. Then one day–BOOM! They hit someone, total their car and send the other party to the hospital. Bet they wish they had auto insurance.
It’s the same thing with health insurance. You’re a 20-something young stud, never smoked, don’t drink or do drugs, eat right, exercise, do all the right things. But one day you start to feel “not right”. You start to become clumsy. Your stamina has gone AWOL. You lose complete sensation in both your arms at the same time. After many, many visits to many, many doctors and many, many medical bills you have had to pay out-of-pocket from your $15.00 an hour job because you were too ignorant to get health insurance, you learn that you have Multiple Sclerosis. Health insurance would be nice right about now.
On the surface the option of not being required to buy health insurance may seem appealing to some. Shit, we could all save a lot of money, right? Maybe take that dream vacation we’ve always wanted but won’t be able to take because we now have cancer and are bankrupt from all the bills we couldn’t pay. Because we didn’t buy the health insurance. Because we didn’t have to. But now we wish we had. Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. Didn’t. Do you think Washington gives a fuck about your bad decision? They should all be shot for even wanting to give you the fucking option!
Then there is the elimination of the employer mandate, which obligates larger companies to provide affordable coverage to their full-time workers. The company I work for is a rather large company and I do obtain health insurance for me and my family through them. If they are given the option to eliminate affordable coverage, what kind of health insurance options am I going to have as an employee? Great, they can save money by offering some watered down shit plan. Oooh, maybe they’ll install new windows with their savings. Christ, the plan they offer now isn’t even that great but it’s first class compared to the health insurance offered at my husband’s company and at a few other companies I know of. I can’t imagine what the plan would be like if they were only “obligated” to offer the “minimum”. I’d probably be better off with nothing.
A little over a month ago President Barack Obama posted a message on Facebook regarding the Republican plan. One thing he said that stood out to me was:
“Simply put, if there’s a chance you might get sick, get old, or start a family—this bill will do you harm. And small tweaks over the course of the next couple weeks, under the guise of making these bills easier to stomach, cannot change the fundamental meanness at the core of this legislation.”
Folks, this means all of us. We’re only human. You know at some point in your life you will get sick, even if it’s just the common cold. Hopefully you will live long enough to get old but along with age comes a myriad of health issues from simple ailments to complex diseases. And you may or may not start a family. But if you have any kind of dependent in your life, whether it’s a child or spouse, they may rely on you for health insurance.